Monday 7 May 2012

United We Fell . . . .

Scott Long Legged Sportive - 16 miles in and a fast downhill section with just five miles to go to the first feed station.  The surface was greasy - and small rivulets were running down the country lanes.  Dave T had neglected to turn on his stopwatch - so I told him we were roughly on target for a 17.5 MPH average (Gold) given that were 43 minutes in to the ride.
The bend tightened - and Dave was in front of me - the back wheel skidded - a touch on the brake - and he was off - in front of me . . . .
. . . i downed my bike and we both went crashing in to the nettles and mud - the rivulets of fast running water making the feeling of skidding and lying in the road even more uncomfortable.  Dave was shaken - and his tights were ripped, legs cut and the road was littered with waterbottles and gels.  I was OK - years of rugby taught me never to look at ones injuries but to asses by feeling.  the left cheek of my arse hurt - but nothing serious - my left shin was cut - nothing serious - and my arm left shoulder and arm hurt again nothing serious.  My Altura shorts held up - but the Mavic sprints underneath had a hole.  I could ride.  Dave had  his moral shaken -wet - covered in mud - arese exposed to the world and depressed - he came off worse then me.  He sacked it off at the feed station five miles later where I left him beig attended by St Johns doing an excellent job.  I went on alone.
Wow - what a sportive - this was a beast.  70 miles - with Leith Hill (45 miles) and Barhatch - the wall - at 54.  This was a sportive designed by people who knew the area and loved their hills.  The weather made it all the more challenging - after 2 weeks of incessant rain - today we were met with incessant drizzle.  I kept the cagoul on at all times - and was wet through from start to finish.
The Garmin stats show 5hours elapsed time  - but I lost about 45 minutes sitting on the side of the road with Dave and while he was gettign patched up - hoping he would carry on.  My moving time as 4.19 hours - and this is a little more like it.  I didnt stop at the last feed station - nor would I have at the first one.
the climbs were treacherous getting out of the saddle meant rear wheel lost traction, the descents even worse - days like this are what life is all about - this was one for all the commuters - not the fair weather week-end warriors and kudos to all the finishers.
Best part of the day - passing the bloke on the train who was a bit snooty.  He was sitting on the side of the road at Barhatch pondering his life in the rain - as I pushed painfully passed him.
I nice sausage in a bun at the end and a cycle to Gomshall for the train - job done.  Now - sort out the rattle on the bike, wash the clothes - oil the chain - heal the wounds and the Oxshott Sportive next week.  All I really need is to feel the sunshine and a rise in temperature - one can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment