Sunday 10 June 2012

Pains, Trains and Stubborn back wheels

Sussex/Surrey Scramble - the official end to my holiday.  Nine days off a bike and boy did that tell.
I gave this sportive no respect - and paid a hefty price.  On the back of recent Golds and Silvers in the May Epics - I thought I would ease myself back in to the saddle and enter the Standard (60 miles).
Piece of cake and flapjack for a bloke like me ! ! !  Also - whats a mere 1K of elevation - I have done that on my fixie.  Sixty miles - pah - I'll be back for lunch and maybe pop round Leith Hill as a warm down.
In fact - so confident was I that this would be a doddle - I opted to put a further 15 miles each way on the days mileage - by cycling to Redhill railway station from Epsom.  I could do with the climbing practice - and this sportive has nothing like the hills I need.  I'll polish off the North Downs either end of the day just for god measure.
Here I sit typing - which is about the only movement I can do without wincing in pain.  Each ache a reflection of my crass arrogance and misjudgement.
I missed the Gold - by two minutes - and am struggling - this time for excuses.  Weather, a week off, putting on a few pounds quaffing Leffe and scoffing french cheese - but being honest - I was a little bit too cocky.
I was spat out the back of more than one group of riders including a bunch of paper lads delivering hefty Sunday supplements.  I just didn't have the legs.  The route was flattish - but even on the climbs - I had nothing and was left gasping for air.  From the start the pace was frantic - and I probably started far to quickly.  The first climb was the highest - and the toughest - and the day was doomed from that point on for me.
Some of the ride is encapsulated on this clip here . . .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip8yNdi-REs
Next time - I will ask the wife - for a lift to the station to save the legs.  There is my blame tree, I am hiding behind the ride to Redhill, the train was late - and the wrong leaves were on the roads.  If all that fails - like the bad workman - I am blaming the bike ! ! ! ! !
As an aside - I came home via Pebble Hill at the back of Box Hill.  I know this route well - as I had an old VW that died more than once on that steep elevation.  Now I know how it felt.  I lost my vision when the Garmin was reading 18% elevation - and I am certain it was getting steeper.  It's a good climb - but can be busy with cars - so try and do it early in the day.  I am not sure if it is included in the Olympic route or not - lack of new tarmac would suggest it is not, though it was on the "Ride The Route" sportive last year.
I am going to give the commute a rest tomorrow - but will be back on the fixie for the rest of the week as I have on eye on The Long One (styled by wiggle as One of the Longest Sportives) and 3K of elevation.
For now though somewhere in the Great ScrapYard in the sky - there is a VW Golf Karman looking down and enjoying the pain of it's one time owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment